Ever heard of the National Housing Quality Award (NHQA)? If you’re in home building, then listen up. The NHQA is the home building’s top award for quality management. Here’s the run down, home builders submit an application that can be up to 20 pages long. They are compiling everything from stats, to processes, to your mission statement, from there, a committee reviews the application. Three builders are chosen to receive a site visit and then, it’s game on.
The NHQA site visit or what we like to say a good, swift, kick in the tail, is an all out intense session with 3 judges. Picture this, 3 days of someone digging, prying, and questioning everything you do.
After that, it’s an excruciating month until you hear back with your results.
Cue the NHQA drum roll…
It was one wild ride, and we absolutely loved it! CLICK HERE to read our write up from Professional Builder Magazine with our results.
One of our favorite quotes from them:
“You are perfectly engineered for your current results.” – NHQA Judge
Here’s what we took away from the NHQA results:
Take the feedback and run. Be open to their suggestions and criticism. We’re running great for where we are now but if we want more and want to grow, be open to change!
Taking our trades to the next level. Our Trades are as much of us as our own employees, we must hold them to the same standards and share our goals with them. Oh and our favorite, to LOVE on them as much as possible.
With an average length of employment at a whopping 7 years, you can imagine it’s easy to get stuck doing it the way we’ve always done it. That means death to progress. We can’t let experience and longevity make us lazy. We are challenging the old ways and staying on our toes.
NHQA Judges advise us to become consistent across all departments with reporting, systems, processes and communication. We’re as good as our weakest link. Let’s bring everyone along to the success.
Yes, we received Bronze…
Losing is never fun so let’s focus on the NHQA wins:
- CBH Homes is very professional and positive work environment which is literally among the industry’s best practices.
- Strong community involvement.
- Idaho’s Best Places to Work Designation
- Leadership reviewing high level success drivers.
- Sales and Marketing has a solid performance management process, heightened expectations, and strong leadership.
- Strong Customer Handling Process with Sales Simplicity, Lasso, and Punchlist.
- There is a significant focus on individual growth plans.
- CBH has an abundant production capacity and well season field staff.
- Tremendous market share.
We’re not done with NHQA quite yet. Yes, we’ll be applying next year and aiming for GOLD!